Although it seems somewhat counterintuitive given the great digital age of efficiency and progress we find ourselves right in the middle of, I have, at times, heard the accusation that technology is making us lazy . Often, it’s from the mouth of older generations and is phrased in the way of, ‘back then, before there were cars, we had to walk 10 miles to work’, or something of the like, as though I should be thankful to be born in the age of asphalt covered meadows and smoggy skies. It’s not like I had any choice in the matter, and if I had of I probably would have chosen to grow up in a time where the world was a bit quieter, cleaner and in less of a hurry. Nevertheless, that choice was not my own and I find myself here, in the digital age, and just because I don’t find that ideal doesn’t mean I haven’t all but completely succumbed to its charms. New technology has dug its nail in deep. As far as it making me lazy goes? I don’t know, maybe I was lazy to begin with, destined for a life of indolence? It’s not like I order my groceries online, although it would probably be quite convenient, but there are a couple of dirty little habits I have that I don’t doubt are due to the Internet and it’s ability to make things so much ‘easier’. Because information is now so thorough and accessible, I like to plan things perfectly, step by step, from a to z. I don’t think this is because I’m organised, I think it’s because I’ll throw in the towel if I have to go too far out of my way to do something. Like finding a restaurant, for example. I want to have zoomed into street view on Google Maps, worked out my chosen route to get there before I even contemplate visiting a new, unfamiliar place. I don’t want to have to drive or walk unnecessarily to get somewhere, especially if I’m not sure it’s worth it (to limit this scenario I’ll read approximately ten restaurant reviews before I decide on a place). When rationalising my compulsion to research my outings so thoroughly, all I can come up with is, why not? The information is there, so why waste time? Sometimes I remember all of the wonderful places I’ve seen and found when I’ve been wandering about without a place in mind. That cliché about the journey being most important, well, I agree with it, but the way the Internet caters toward convenience often shifts my focus onto the destination.
The same thing goes when it comes to shopping. I know a lot of women who like to spend their Saturdays just browsing for something that may catch their eye. Nope, not me, I’ll call first if I have something in mind; I can’t be bothered battling the crowds and waiting for a change room if the exercise ends up yielding no results. The idea of going out ‘for a browse’, ‘just because’, is totally foreign to me. Sometimes I worry that I’m becoming far too results driven, and I won’t say I blame websites like Ebay for this habit, but they definitely don’t help. Having my pick from items around the world, in the privacy of my own home has turned me into an introspective shopper. I don’t have to contend with irritating shop assistants and I don’t have to walk around the entire city in an attempt to find something I want. The less I deal with real-world shopping, the less I want to do it. I don’t want the experience – I want the results.
Strangely, however, there is little I love more than spending hours fossicking through a weekend flea market. Given my aversion to ‘browsing’ I’ve had a hard time pinpointing why my response to two seemingly similar activities is so different. In conclusion, I think the Internet has made me lazy in areas I can afford to be. The joy of the Sunday market is the browsing outdoors (hopefully in the sun) and that is something I can’t simulate online. I can’t better that experience, and streamlining it is kind of the antithesis of what it’s all about.
Maybe then, technology isn’t making us lazy – well, not all of us anyway – and is simply giving us more choices. I now have the option of thoroughly researching places before I visit them, or shopping online without other associated hassles, but there are certain experiences that I wouldn’t and couldn’t change. Perhaps it’s just a case of evolution and, therefore, logical that with more choices, especially those of which that lend to convenience, people aren’t always going to take the timelier path to achieving their goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment